The hostel was in Manchester in the north west of England.
Manchester was an important hub for Jewish refugees who came to the UK. In the 1930s almost 8,000 Jewish refugees arrived in the city. The Manchester Jewish Refugees Committee, which had been set up in 1938, oversaw the running of the hostel. Its chairman was Rachel Barasch
Singleton Road was the head office of the religious Zionist organisation Bachad and was known as the MerkazLimmud.
The property is now divided up into flats.
THE SINGLETON ROAD STORY
It was decided to adapt the MerkazLimmud into a hostel in September 1945 and the first 22 boys arrived from the Windermere reception centre in October 1945.
It was later decided that the Liverpool hostel would merge with Singleton Road. The Boys staying at the Liverpool hostel were brought to Singleton Road to join a handful of others already in Manchester, where they were supported by the Jewish Refugees Committee.
The emphasis was on learning English but also Hebrew, and the Boys led a religious lifestyle under their Rabbi Hans Heinneman. In their free time, Sam Laskier, recalls that the Boys played tennis, started a football club, went to the cinema and went ice skating on Derby Street.