The hostel was a home for tuberculosis patients, in the pretty village of Ugley, in Essex, about 40 miles north of London. It was run directly by the CBF until in January 1950, when the house was taken over by the NHS and was run by East Anglia District Council.
The hostel was closed in December 1950. It was thoroughly cleaned and fumigated and locked up for six months as a precaution.
Built in 1902, the house stood in eight acres of land. Two fields belonging to the property were rented to a local farmer. The fields were called Square Mead and Quare Mead. In 1946, it took three hours to get to London and the house was one and a half miles outside of the village.
The house had its own grounds with chickens, a vegetable patch and a flower garden with a stone birdbath. Today the building is a private home.
THE QUARE MEAD STORY
The patients were a mixture of boys, some of whom came on Kindertransports, and those who arrived in 1945-6. The Boys arrived in the autumn of 1946.
The winter of 1946-47 was very severe and the Boys were housebound. Chess, cards, billiards and television provided entertainment. Young Bnei Brith members visited at the weekend, as did the Cambridge Jewish Student Association. A Mrs Tennant who lived in the village sometimes asked the Boys for tea.
Rabbi Eli Munck from Golders Green was a regular visitor. Oscar Friedmann, a key member of the Committee for the Care of the Concentration Camp Children, visited every three weeks. He was served strong black coffee in the living room, which he loved.
The teachers came three times a week. On a Wednesday, Sister Eva would go to nearby Bishop’s Stortford to shop at local supermarkets and chemists. Half a mile from the hostel was a pub called The White Horse. The Boys were regulars but the rule was nothing stronger than ginger ale.