Great Chesterford is a village 10 miles south of Cambridge, in the east of England.
The hostel was known as the White House Hostel. It functioned from 1942 to 1946 and was run by the religious Zionist organisation Bachad.
No details are known about the building. It is currently a private house.
THE GREAT CHESTERFORD STORY
Great Chesterford was a hostel for girls and was originally used to house children from the Kindertransport. Eleven girls from the Wintershill Hall reception centre were moved here on 2 January 1946. The girls were not happy and complained that they were isolated and that the warden lacked understanding.
After a month, it was clear that the girls did not mix with those already living at the hostel, so six were moved to Cazenove Road in London, one to relatives and four to the Jewish Shelter in London’s East End.