By 1933, 9,000 Jews lived in Munich, amounting to 1.2% of the population. Between 1933 and 1938, 3,574 Jews left the city.
In November 1941, 980 Munich Jews were deported to Riga and in April 1942, 343 were deported to the Piaski ghetto in the Lublin district. Between May and August 1942, 1,000 Jews were deported from Munich to the Theresienstadt ghetto in Czechoslovakia.
When the war ended, Munich became the centre for the Jewish Agency’s welfare activities in the Displaced Persons’ (DP) camps.