The town of Boryslaw is framed from the west by the eastern Carpathian Mountains. Boryslaw was the third largest town in pre-war Poland, after Warsaw and Lodz. In mid-1941, prior to the German occupation of Boryslaw, about 17,000 Jews out of a total population of 50,000 resided in the town. A labour camp was established in Boryslaw. The city was liberated on 7 August 1944, 200 Jews had survived in the town itself having hidden in bunkers.