Jews settled in Novogrudek in the 16th century and the community numbered over 6,000 in 1931. In 1941, half of Novogrudek’s population were Jewish. In September 1939, following the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact and the German invasion of Poland, Novogrudek was absorbed into the Soviet Union. During this period many Jewish refugees took refuge in the town.
The vast majority of Jews who lived in the area were murdered between July 1941 and May 1943.
Today, there is no Jewish community in Novogrudek.