Gyor-Moson-Sopron County borders Austria and Slovakia in the north-west of Hungary. Most of the Jews who lived in the area before the Second World War were merchants and industrialists.
Before Hungary was occupied by the Germans, the Jews suffered from anti-Jewish legislation. In 1942, most of the Jewish men in the county were recruited into forced labour in the Hungarian army on the eastern front, where many lost their lives.
On 19 March 1944, Nazi Germany occupied Hungary. Two months later the Jews of Gyor-Moson-Sopron county were imprisoned in the ghetto in Gyor. Over 5,000 people were deported in two transports to the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration and extermination camp in occupied Poland.
After the Holocaust, hundreds of Jews who had been expelled from the city returned to Gyor and re-established a Jewish community. In 1949, there were 459 Jews in the city but after the 1956 Hungarian Revolution in 1956 the overwhelming majority of the Jews left.